As a gamer, you probably spend long periods of time in front of a computer or TV. This means you occasionally experience back, neck, or shoulder pain. A solution to this problem is investing in a quality gamer chair. But with the many options on the market, you might think that any chair will make you more comfortable. The truth is, you can’t trust every gaming chair on the market.
Two brands that have changed the world of gaming are DXRacer and Secretlab. Both companies have several models, each unique in their own way to suit size, style, and budget. In this article, we will cover both brands to narrow down your shopping selection and get you matched with the perfect gamer chair for you.
What Are the Differences?
DXRacer vs Secretlab – while they are both leading brands in the gamer industry, there are several differences between the two. Before we dive in with all the details, here are the top 6 differences to keep in mind:
- DXRacer has been around for much longer when compared to Secretlab, consequently being more well-known and established. This company has over 15 years of experience in this industry and it shows. Their original DXRacer racing chair, released in 2006, changed the world of gaming forever! On the other hand, Secretlab was founded in 2014 by gamers, and now takes pride in providing gamers with luxurious, yet affordable chairs.
- DXRacer has a larger presence in the gaming community and is used by professional gamers and eSports teams. While Secretlab has only been around since 2014, it does collaborate with large gaming companies like PlayStation, Riotgames, or Ubisoft.
- DXRacer has a wider range of chairs to choose from (10 series of chairs). Secretlab has 3 series of chairs. Both companies offer chairs depending on size and have customizable options (several materials and colors to choose from).
- Secretlab is more affordable than DXRacer, when you consider the bigger model. You can compare similar chairs with the same features from both companies, and Secretlab will usually give you better price. The cost is probably one of the biggest benefits of going with this company.
- All Secretlab chairs come with 4D armrests which are the best solution for gamers. With DXRacer you have to pay extra for the 4D armrests or choose a big (and pricey) model. Otherwise you will get only height-adjustable or 3D arms.
- DXRacer is a better option for bigger or taller gamers because of their wide chair selection. Their strongest chair has a maximum capacity of 450 pounds while Secretlab’s is 290 pounds, which is quite a difference!
What Are Their Series?
Now that we have covered the main differences between both brands, let’s look at their series. We mentioned that DXRacer has 10 series – the main difference is the size (from S to XXXL) as they are all made for specific body types.
Here is a quick list of DXRacer company’s series:
- Formula Series
- Racing Series
- King Series
- Valkyrie Series
- Sentinel Series
- Tank Series
- Drifting Series
- Iron Series
- Boss Series
- Classic Series
Now, what about Secretlab series? Here they are:
- THRONE Series
- OMEGA Series
- TITAN Series
DXRacer vs Secretlab – Comparison of Features & Design
Both of these chairs have so much to offer gamers, but which one is the better option?
Range of Chairs
DXRacer offers a broader range of chairs available depending on user size. At the moment I’m writing this review, they have 10 series (plus a few special editions), while Secretlab only has 3 series. DXRacer targets every body type, height, and weight. With their several models it’s so easy to find a chair that works for specific gamers.
DXRacer is the better option for bigger, taller gamers. Secretlab’s sturdiest chair – TITAN – offers a maximum weight capacity of 290 lbs while DXRacer’s strongest chair – Tank – offers a weight capacity of 450 lbs. This is such a huge difference!
Besides this, all DXRacer chairs differ in size and they are addressed for different body types. Whether you’re short and skinny, chubby or tall & hefty person, with narrow or wide shoulders and hips, you have 10 series to choose from. DXRacer also gives useful height & weight recommendation for each chair so you could be sure you’re paying for the right model.
Formula Series is made for smallest users, Racing, Drifting and Valkyrie are meant for average in height and slim gamers, Classic is good choice for average in height and chubby person. Iron, King, Sentinel, Boss and Tank can hold heavier users with bigger frame.
With Secretlab your choice is limited to 3 chairs. THRONE was designed for smallest gamers – up to 5’3” and 220 pounds, OMEGA is meant for average users: up to 5’1” and 240 pounds. The biggest chair is TITAN which can hold a person up to 290lbs and it’s a good choice for tall gamers (up to 6’7”).
If you don’t have a typical build and usually have problems with clothes size, or if you’re a very heavy person – you should choose one of the DXRacer chairs.
If you’re sure one of the three Secretlab chairs will suit your body – go for it – it will be probably more pocket-friendly option than DXRacer chair in the same size.
There a quite a lot of differences between Secretlab and DXRacer chairs in terms of functionality.
Let’s start with armrests. All Secretlab chairs, even the smallest and cheapest one, come with 4D armrests and I think it’s a selling point.
4D arms can be found only on some of the DXRacer chairs, especially the bigger models like Iron, King or Tank. Some of the average in size chairs include 4D armrests too, but this feature makes the chair more pricey.
Why 4D armrests make such a difference? Because they help you to avoid shoulder and wrist pain when you spend multiple hours on playing. When you’re holding your game pad or using mouse and keyboard your hands are at different heights and angles, therefore it’s useful to have armrests that adjusts in all 4 directions and give you proper support.
Now let’s take a look at recline and tilt mechanism. It’s similar for both brands. Secretlab and DXRacer chairs offer deep recline which you can use while watching a movie or taking break from gaming session.
All chairs feature a rocking function too, but only the bigger and more expensive models are equipped with a tilt angle lock. It allows you to lock the chair in titled position. You can find this function on Secretlab OMEGA and TITAN chairs, as well as on DXRacer King, Sentinel, Iron and Classic, and some of the more pricey Drifting and Racing Series chairs. Similarly, both companies skipped this feature on smallest and cheapest chairs.
Now it’s time to compare neck and lumbar pillows. Not all DXRacer chairs come with adjustable neck pillow – some models like Boss and Classic Series have a built-in pillow that doesn’t move up and down.
On the other hand, all Secretlab chairs come with an adjustable neck support, but what’s really unique about it, is that is made of a memory foam and cooling gel! It’s super comfortable and doesn’t have your head and hair sweaty. This feature distinguishes Secretlab chairs among all gaming chairs.
Lumbar support is another feature that differentiates DXRacer and Secretlab chairs. All DXRacer chairs are equipped with adjustable pillow for lower back that you can slide up and down to find the perfect fit.
On the other hand, Secretlab THRONE and OMEGA come with a pillow that is non-adjustable. Secretlab Titan has completely different lumbar support – it’s built into the backrest and you can adjust it, depending on how much support you need. It works really awesome – just check the picture below.
To sum up – if you’d like to have a chair with 4D armrests at affordable price – go for Secretlab. If you’re a fan of standard adjustable lumbar and neck pillows choose one of DXRacer chairs (except Boss and Classic).
If you’d like to have a neck pillow with cooling gel – Secretlab chairs are made for you.
Among DXRacer chairs, some of the smaller models come with nylon base. Some customers complain about it, because it is not as strong as aluminum base. And it only for lighter users.
What you are going to love about Secretlab chairs is that all of them, regardless the size, come with aluminum base. It’s strong and ensures perfect stability even with a hefty user.
Secretlab allows you to choose your upholstery from 2-3 materials:
- Prime PU Leather – it’s the cheapest material here, it looks quite elegant, it is water resistant and very easy to clean, but keep in mind it may accumulate heat,
- SoftWeave fabric – this fabric allows the air to circulate through so you don’t get sweaty on your chair, but it may be more difficult to clean,
- NAPA leather – it’s a full-grain leather, very soft, durable, and breathable. It’s really expensive!
Being able to choose the upholstery means that you can go with something that’s comfortable for you and that fits your budget.
With DXRacer chairs there is also a wide selection of materials, but 3 out of 10 series have only 1 type of upholstery (Valkyrie, Boss and Classic). Other series have lots of different models available with various materials like mesh fabric, PU leather, Carbon Look Vinyl or full-grain leather.
Keep in mind that when you change the upholstery, the color of the chair may also change, because not all color versions are available for all materials. This applies to both Secretlab and DXRacer chairs.
As you can see with both these companies, you have really awesome wide choice of materials. Whether you want something more breathable, something more elegant and easy to maintain or if you’re a fan of real leather, you will definitely find a perfect match.
To get your gaming chair from a trusted source, we encourage you to visit Amazon. Going directly to the company’s official website is also worth considering as they run specials from time to time.
Customer Service and Warranty
Both companies have a strong customer service team that’s friendly and efficient. With Secretlab, you can contact them directly through their website by submitting an enquiry form. They do not have the option to call them which we found strange, however, their FAQ/Support page on their site is very useful. DXRacer does have a number you can call as well as an online form you can fill out.
As for warranty, both brands are very generous by offering warranty on all their chairs. DXracer offers a 2 year warranty on the chair parts and a lifetime warranty on the steel frame.
Secretlab offer 3-year warranty for their newest chairs from 2020 series (and 2 years for 2018 models).
There is also an extension option if you need additional years of coverage. Buyers can enjoy a 5-year extended warranty only by sharing a photo of their new Secretlab chair through any social media site (Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter) and showing it to the brand.
Which DXRacer and Secretlab Chairs Are Similar?
Secretlab vs DXRacer – how do you compare? The best way for us to compare these two brands is to compare two models that are similar in size to keep things consistent. While they are similar in size, we did find they each have something unique to offer.
Secretlab THRONE vs DXRacer Formula – Comparison
Secretlab THRONE is meant for small and short users, similarly to DXRacer Formula – smallest DXRacer model. They differ in function though.
- 4D armrests which make a difference. They are much, much more comfortable, whether you’re playing on console or computer, because they give your arms full support and allow you to avoid shoulder and wrist pain.
- Adjustable neck pillow made of memory foam and cooling gel
- Non-adjustable lumbar pillow
- Usually slightly more expensive than Formula, but still affordable (check exact price on Amazon)
- Only height-adjustable armrests
- Adjustable neck pillow filled with some kind of wadding (it may start to stick out out the pillow after a while – this happened to my chair)
- Adjustable lumbar pillow that you can slide depending on your height
- Medium-priced gaming chair (check exact price on Amazon)
It’s also important to mention that DXRacer offers more options for Formula upholstery and colors. All gamers are able to find a chair that suits their style. With Secretlab THRONE the choice is a bit limited.
Secretlab OMEGA vs DXRacer Racing – Comparison
In terms of size Secretlab OMEGA is similar to DXRacer Racing Series – both are made for average in size users.
- 4D armrests + Multi-functional tilt and tilt & lock function
- Adjustable memory foam neck pillow with cooling gel and non-adjustable lumbar support
- Available with NAPA Leather upholstery – if you’d prefer a chair with real leather padding, that is stronger than mesh fabric and more breathable than PU leather, then you should definitely go for Secretlab OMEGA gaming chair.
- Browse through Secretlab offer and check OMEGA on Amazon
- Racing chairs are available in a few different variations – some of them include 3D arms and conventional tilt (no tilt angle lock), some have 4D arms together with multi-functional tilt and tilt & lock function
- Regardless the type of Racing chair you choose, you will always get adjustable pillows for neck and lumbar support
- DXRacer Racing is only made with mesh fabric or PU leather upholstery
- Version with 4D armrests is more expensive, and usually it turns out to be more pricey than Secretlab OMEGA (you can check it on Amazon)
Secretlab TITAN vs DXRacer King
The DXRacer King Series and Secretlab TITAN Series offer similar chairs. You will find that both models are comfortable for bigger users, because they have wide seat bases. Both have multi-functional tilt with tilt angle lock and 4D armrest.
What are the main differences?
- Built-in lumbar support, but it’s also adjustable
- Weight capacity: 290 lbs
- Suitable for taller users (up to 6’7”)
- Judging from price, the TITAN has an advantage because it’s usually cheaper (you can check exact price on Amazon)
- Separate lumbar pillow that slides up and down
- Weight capacity: 275 lbs
- Height recommendation: up to 6’3”
- The price depends on the upholstery and color (find a perfect King for your gaming room on Amazon)
What’s interesting TITAN is the largest Secretlab chair. On the other hand, DXRacer has a few chairs in their offer that are bigger than King and suitable for even heavier and larger gamers (like Sentinel and Tank).
Which brand is the Winner?
So what brand is better – DXRacer or Secretlab? This really depends on what factors are most important for your gaming experience. DXRacer is a better-known company with a range of choices, and their quality doesn’t fail. Secretlab specializes in extra comfort and advanced function at a lower cost. Honestly, it’s impossible to pick the absolute best chair from these two options.
What are the Reasons to Buy DXRacer Chairs?
- DXRacer is a well-established and trusted brand with over 15 years of experience. You can expect a quality product.
- Their chairs are suitable for all types of gamers and they offer some of the best chairs on the market for bigger users.
- With this company you’ll receive an amazing value for your money.
- If you struggle with back pain, DXRacer is probably better choice, because all of their chairs have adjustable lumbar support.
While DXRacer wins within the gaming community for its broader range of options and quality, Secretlab also has its advantages.
What are the Reasons to Buy Secretlab Chairs?
- One of the best reasons to go with a Secretlab gamer chair is the fabric options. You will have 3 main types of upholstery to choose from including Prime PU Leather, NAPA leather, and Softweave fabric. They meticulously design their chairs using nothing less than quality materials.
- This brand is also more affordable when compared to DXRacer making it a leader within the industry.
- 4D armrests are included even with the smallest and cheapest chair. This feature doesn’t force you to spend more money like it is with DXRacer chairs. If you play for many hours each day and your wrist or shoulder often hurt, 4D armrests are a game changer.
This brings us to the end of our review. Secretlab or DXRacer, we can assure you: you’re going to love your new chair! Be sure to check available colors on Amazon as they sometimes vary by price. Moreover, we encourage you to read more customer reviews to hear what previous users have to say!